Please Wait a Moment

Bonds FAQ

Probate Bonds Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I obtain a probate bond through CBS Agency/CBA?
A. The first step is to complete the probate pre-approval bond form which can be found on our website. Download the probate pre-approval form, fill it out and send it to the email address or fax number listed on the form. You may not have a case number yet, but the case name is required. It should be The Estate of/Guardianship of (insert name).​

Q. What happens once I send in my probate pre-approval form?
A. Once your form is received, we send it to the surety company for approval. We notify you whether it has been approved or not. If approved, we send the completed pre-approval bond form back to you. In Franklin County, this is all you need to take to the courts. If it is outside of Franklin County, we will execute and mail out the original executed bond and POA to you.​

Q. When is the bond premium due?
A. Bond premiums are due when the bond is executed. You will be invoiced by CBS Agency, and the premium is due upon receipt. We accept checks and all major credit cards.​

Q. The court has dismissed the bond. Do I need to notify CBS Agency?
A. Yes, please notify CBS Agency anytime there is a change in bond status.​

Q. The final account has been filed and the estate is going to close. Should I notify CBS Agency?
A. Yes, please notify CBS Agency and provide a copy of the stamped final account filing. We will let you know if there is an outstanding balance due or if the estate is owed a refund.​

Q. The estate closed 6 months after the bond was executed. Can I get a refund?
A. No. First year bond premiums are fully earned when executed.​

Q. The estate closed after the first year. Can I get a refund?
A. Yes. Please notify CBS Agency that the final account has been filed and provide us with a copy of the stamped final account filing. We will pro-rate the premium and return any unused portion or update the amount due if it has not already been paid.

Q. Why is the premium for Guardianship of a Minor so much?
A. This is because the full premium is due up until the minor turns 18 years old.​

Q. Can I reduce a bond and how do I reduce it?
A. Yes, you can reduce a bond. This is done through the courts and then you need to notify CBS Agency of the reduction by sending in the entry showing the reduction.​

Q. Can I raise the original amount of bond if other assets are discovered after I have already done the original bond?
A. Yes, you can raise the bond amount at any time. All you have to do is follow the same process that was used to obtain the original bond. You would fill out a new pre-approval bond form just for the additional amount and send to us here at CBS Agency.​

Apply Now

Probate Pre-Approval Bond Form

Print and fax your completed application to us at (614) 340-2080 or email to

Contact Us

Contact us at (614) 340-2076 or

More Insurance Options

You've worked hard to build your practice. Protect it with professional liability coverage for attorneys - available through the Columbus Bar. Click here for details.

Notary Errors and Omissions (E&O) Insurance is essentially "liability" coverage designed to protect your personal and professional assets in the event you make a mistake as a Notary that causes your client to suffer financial loss. The Columbus Bar provides E&O insurance through respected insurer RLI. Click here for details.