November 21, 2012
Bar Plans Civil Rights Symposium
Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Civil Rights Symposium
January 30, 2013 - 6.25 CLE Hours
The Columbus Bar, in partnership with the Managing Partners Diversity Initiative, the John Mercer Langston Bar Association, and Capital University Law School’s Black Law Students Association will host its first Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Civil Rights Symposium on January 30. The program, offering 6.25 hours of continuing legal education credit, will replace the annual King luncheon.
Civil rights remain front and center in our nation today and the Symposium is being designed to explore existing issues, emerging trends, and the laws that impact civil rights in our community. The program will cover education as the new civil rights frontier and examine how Fischer v Texas has the potential to significantly impact the landscape. Other sessions will focus on citizenship discrimination, hate crimes, and trends in housing discrimination. A distinguished panel will also take a close look at SB383 and the changes it brings to the table.
An impressive group of professionals are committed to speak at the program including:
- Sharon Davies, Moritz College of Law
- Ronald H. Lee, U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division
- Kenneth L. Parker, Chief Criminal Division, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Southern District of Ohio
- G. Michael Payton, Executive Director, Ohio Civil Rights Commission
- Charles C. Warner, Porter Wright Morris & Arthur
- Frederick M. Gittes, The Gittes Law Group
- Lori A. Anthony, Section Chief, Civil Rights, Ohio Attorney General
- LeeAnn M. Massucci, Massucci & Kline
- Scot E. Dewhirst, Artz, Dewhirst & Wheeler, LLP
Topping off the day will be a reception that will be highlighted by the presentation of the Capital University Law School Black Law Students Association’s annual King Image Award.
This program is made possible in part by the hard work of the planning committee that includes Jennifer Adair, G. Michael Payton and Keith P. Mcneil.
CBA and JMLBA members: $175 prepaid/$195 day of
Non-members: $195 prepaid/$215 day of
Non-attorneys: $115 prepaid/$130 day of
Law Students: Free (with advanced registration)
This program is CLE Easy Pass eligible.
To register, call the Columbus Bar at 614/221.4112 or click here to register online.