May 11, 2012
LLI Class of 2012 Rates Success
The dream to create a line for Ohio students from underserved communities to attend and succeed in college is being realized as 13 colleges and universities from six states and the District of Columbia compete to recruit the first 17 graduates of the state's unique Law and Leadership Institute.
What began as a pilot program for 40 rising ninth graders in 2008 has evolved into LLI's year-round program serving nearly 400 students in grades 9 through 12 in Akron, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus and Dayton high schools.
Success of the LLI Class of 2012 is shown in an independent audit of the program:
- Over 90 percent of student's showed improvement in legal knowledge;
- 94 percent of students report they expect to graduate from college;
- 81 percent of students who reported, anticipate earning a graduate degree;
- 78 percent improved their public speaking skills; and
- 74 percent improved problem solving skills.
For more information on LLI, contact Executive Director Hope Sharett at 614/485.3504 or visit www.lawandleadership.org.