August 3, 2006
Angie's List offers August checklist
Keeping on top of routine maintenance and other projects can be a daunting task. But, Angie's List can help. Drawing on the expertise of Angie's List members and the contractors and companies they've put on the list, Angie has put together an August Checklist to help you get it all done this month.
- Examine your dryer vents to see if lint has accumulated. Lint is extremely flammable, so it's important to clean the entire ventilation system or have an air duct cleaning company remove the lint all the way to the dryer cap on the outside of your home.
- Check faucets for leaks and drips. If your faucet drips one drop per second, you'll waste about 2,700 gallons per year. Save on your water bill by getting those drips repaired. It could be as simple as a new washer in the faucet joint.
- Make sure you have screens on all exterior vents, and close up open spaces around the basement, attic, windows and doors. As the weather gets cooler, animals will try to make your home their home. Rats and mice can squeeze through spaces as small as a quarter of an inch.
- Focus on lawn fertilization and treatment, as well as reseeding your grass before the cold weather sets in. If your soil is highly compacted, consider using an aerator to allow better penetration of air, nutrients and water. Also, herbicide applications to get rid of weeds are most effective this time of year.
- Treat yourself to a housecleaning service, especially if your home saw plenty of traffic from kids, friends, relatives and pets during the summer months. Keep in mind that companies with a regular clientele might need three to four weeks' notice.
- Fix any computer problems before the school year kicks off. Computer repair centers often do preventative maintenance services, so considering taking your PC in for a tune up, even if nothing is wrong - yet.
To sign up for Angie’s List with the Columbus Bar member discount, contact Loree Myers at 614/236.5478 or email@example.com.